Case Histories :
Workpiece examples include:
Landing gear assemblies, jet engine turbines, buckets, blades, fuel nozzles and various engine parts.
Spherical Ball Seat
A contract manufacturer of both commercial and military aerospace components is required to machine a family of parts from 4340 material at 33Rc hardness.
- The form required is a spherical ball seat comprised of:
- a .750 convex radius
- Blended to a 15° taper
- Then blended to a concave radius generally between .190 and .250
- And finally facing at 90° to the component I.D.>
- The parts have in common the .750 concave radius but vary in the length of the 15° chamfer, the size of the concave radius and the amount of the 90° facing required.
Genesee designed special hollow mills using four precision ground and matched premium T-15 HSS blades, set to cut to centerline to produce the entire ball seat complete in one pass.
- This Genesee hollow mill solution has been in use for decades.
- The technology has remained constant due to the productivity supplied, even during plant and location changes
Locking Stud Screws and Pins
A major American manufacturer produces a family of special locking stud screws and pins for the aerospace industry, both commercial and military. The parts require the turning of both a non-threaded stud portion and pre-thread diameter.
- Part diameters range from 1/8" to 5/8".
- Various chamfers are required between the diameters ranging from 20° to 45°.
- The length of the hollow milling can be as long as 1" and depth of cut varies from .035" to .120"
- The parts are manufactured from a number of different difficult-to-machine materials including Inconel 713, A-286 and 303 Stainless.
Genesee's patented standard GEN-DEX® tool using standard interchangeable GEN-DEX® insert holders was the answer.
- Insert holders are positioned for turning the chamfer angles or for producing a square shoulder.
- As required, the manufacturer is machining the entire family of parts using GEN-DEX®.
- Precision ground GEN-DEX® "C" tolerance inserts, some in grade 111-50M and other is grade 117-50M are machining all part materials with excellent tool life.
- Customer report that the GEN-DEX inserts last four times longer than their previous tooling.
- High volume parts are produced within tolerances and without the taper or out of round problems they had experienced previously.
- Supervisor report the tools are trouble-free and productivity on the parts has increased 10 times.